Return to Main Page

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Choose Your Own Adventure

Fighting FantasyI used to read these all the time when I was a kid. They were only $1.00 at the local discount bookstore. Best deal EVER.

The fantasy gamebooks such as Dungeons & Dragons: Endless Quest, Fighting Fantasy, and GrailQuest were especially cool, filled with crazy Tolkien illustrations and lead characters. I bought them based solely on how cool the cover art was. Fuck off, I was only eight!

I defeated the purpose of them by never bothering with the dice game play (I invented the literary version of "god" mode). I just read the story and looked at the cool pictures. If I got frustrated with dead ends, I’d just find the page with the happy ending and backtrack. Cheating I know, but I had good times.

Those Choose Your Own Adventure books were good clean fun. Nowadays, instead of choosing whether to play the golden whistle or kill the Skull Crab, kids get to choose whether to duck behind a desk or jump out the second story window during a school shooting.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I had a couple of books like that when I was a kid. One of them I swear had a misprint that actually PREVENTED you from "winning". Awesome stuff. I too used "god mode" when reading but then again, who didn't?

    By Blogger CapnG, at Thu Nov 17, 04:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



All Contents © 2005-2009 Digital Dharma. All Rights Reserved. All opinions expressed are correct.